Atlanta Falcons First Down for Fitness presented by The Employees of Marsh & McLennan and Publix Supermarkets is a three-month program (September 7 through November 30, 2015) designed to challenge third through seventh grade students throughout the state of Georgia to participate in fitness activities, eat healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle. The program incorporates components of the NFL’s Play 60 initiative, the American Heart Association, and Fuel Up to Play 60 nutrition program available through the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association (SUDIA).
Teachers must register online at www.atlantafalcons.com/firstdownforfitness as well as:
- Provide a copy of your county or school’s wellness plan—(unless we already have it on file)
- Agree that each participating student will engage in 60 minutes of physical activity at least five days a week and have at least one discussion a week relative to healthy eating and healthy lifestyles
- Students who complete the program will receive a signed certificate signed by program Atlanta Falcons Ambassador, Head Coach Dan Quinn
- Participating schools will receive physical fitness equipment
- Participating classes will receive the following:
- A chance to receive a school visit from Atlanta Falcons players and cheerleaders
- A chance to receive a school visit from the Fuel Up to Play 60 program through SUDIA when you register your school in the Fuel Up to Play 60 program at fueluptoplay60.com.
- A chance to receive a visit from Freddie Falcon and learn more about his P.L.A.Y. Book for Fitness Program: atlantafalcons.com/freddie.
- Play 60 Challenge teacher guide and student game planners
- Five (5) registered teachers will be selected at the 2015-2016 First Down for Fitness Teachers of the Year. Teachers can nominate themselves or be nominated by an administrator, fellow teacher, student or parent and recipients will be selected based on their dedication and innovative approach to the program. Each Teacher of the Year winner will receive a $1,000 grant to purchases physical fitness equipment for their school.
FIRST DOWN FOR FITNESS TIP OF THE WEEK AND RECIPE OF THE WEEK
- Each week during the program, students can visit www.atlantafalcons.com/firstdownforfitness to view special fitness and nutrition tips from their favorite Atlanta Falcons players and cheerleaders
PLAY 60 CHALLENGE
- The PLAY 60 Challenge Online Tracker helps schools and youth organizations track their students’ physical activity minutes during the 4-week Challenge. Students can compete with other classrooms across the nation for the most physical activity minutes and compare their results using the real time data that is available in the tracker! Register for free at heart.org/PLAY60ChallengeTracker.
- Participating teachers can visit heart.org/PLAY60Challenge to download sample lesson plans, view classroom physical fitness activities and explore more great resources
FUEL UP TO PLAY 60
- Participating schools can sign up online at fueluptoplay60.com. The website contains information to help you and your students make healthy changes in your school including information about how to apply for grants to make those healthy changes.
May 28 Pre-registration begins
July 1 General registration begins
August 14 Registration ends
August 17-21 Participation confirmation
September 7 Program begins
September 20 American Heart Association PLAY 60 Challenge registration opens
October 1 American Heart Association PLAY 60 Challenge begins
October 12 2014 First Down for Fitness MVPs nomination period begins
October 30 2014 First Down for Fitness MVPs nomination period ends
November 11 2014 First Down for Fitness MVPs announced
November 29 MVP winners recognized at an Atlanta Falcons Home Game
November 30 Program ends
January 18 Program evaluation emailed to teachers
February 19 Final program evaluations due
March 25 Teacher of the year nominations opens
April 18 Teacher of the year nominations close
May 9 Announce Teacher of the Year Winners